Help! Cracked Engine block!?

T1 - T5 questions, and other topics.

vwbus.no is a Norwegian bus forum. Here in this section we invite questions/comments in English so that people who are struggling with Norwegian can ask questions using English.

Remember! Only English language / Husk! Kun Engelsk!
Forum rules
vwbus.no is a Norwegian bus forum. Here in this section we invite questions/comments in English so that people who are struggling with Norwegian can ask questions using English.
pitufinavikinga
Car: T3 1983

Help! Cracked Engine block!?

Post by pitufinavikinga »

Hi guys,

I hope you can help me and give me some advice. I am already loosing hopes on this one!

I was on a trip from Bergen to the south of Denmark with my van, passing by Oslo, Goteborg, Copenhagen, etc. It was great and the car worked nice! Around 2500km roundtrip.

On my way back home, when I was driving from Oslo to Bergen, I stopped to eat something, maybe after 30km of driving. I noticed some water vapor coming out of the engine compartment and when I looked down it was dripping lots of coolant! It seemed the leak was between the motor block and the head.

I tried pouring two bottles of STP radiator sealant which I found in a gas station, but didn’t help. So I refilled the water tank and drove to the nearest VW dealership. They told me that usually is the head that bends/twist/break and that I may expect to pay for reparation around NOK15,000!

I realized that it leaks less water at higher RPMs, but when idling it is like peeing (only example I could think of now =P) So I refilled again and managed to go to a friends place in Ås (south of Oslo). Then I took the train home.

Yesterday my friend took the car to another workshop, and they said that they found a visible-from-outside crack on the engine block near the leaking point, close to the right head. I haven’t seen it myself, but that sound pretty bad for me!

The car is running normally and I have never experienced any overheating in the year I have owned it. I paid NOK 7000 for it, so that makes me suspicious about the previous owner knowing about this?

I have driven the car around 17,000 km in the year, but changed oil, filters, plugs, and so every 5000km. I never speed in it and I think I take very good care of it in general. If it is really the engine blocked that cracked, my question is: why?! And of course: what can I do? :(

Does anybody know a mechanic in Oslo area that knows about transporters that can take a third look? It is a Transporter 1983, 1.9L, gasoline.

Thank you very much for your comments and I hope there is still something to do for her (Pitufina is her name). I will try to get some pictures of it later today!

Best Regards,

Andres Castro
Andres Castro
T3 1983 1.9
ducce999s
-
-
Phone: 9-1-6-0-9-7-9-0

Re: Help! Cracked Engine block!?

Post by ducce999s »

take contact with rapidspeed or skaravelle here at the forum you find theirs phone nr on the profile
SYNCRO1,9TD,SIKASYNCRO2,1,JOKER3 2,1++
TL 1600 Fastback -69
Opel GT 1900 -69
"I'm afraid that, when I die, my wife will sell my car parts for what I told her that I paid for them."
Paul G
pitufinavikinga

Hi! Im posting some pictures. I will contact try to contact them. Thank you for the answer.

Have anybody ever tried k-seal?

http://k-seal.co.uk/

Takk skal du ha!

-Andres

Andres Castro
T3 1983 1.9
ducce999s
-
-

Post by ducce999s »

If it´s a crack you will have quite of a work to fix it. It will be easier and cheaper to buy another engine and change it.

Found some info about K-seal in Norwegian forums, not a lots of people that have tried it. But it wasn’t any negative experience.

Maybe you should take my 1,9l so that I can change to a 2,1 l :D
TL 1600 Fastback -69
Opel GT 1900 -69
"I'm afraid that, when I die, my wife will sell my car parts for what I told her that I paid for them."
Paul G
pitufinavikinga

Hei guys... Just came from the weekend in Oslo and visit my car. I found out the previous owner replaced the alternator (dynamo) and broke one of the bolts heads of the mounting bracket. SO then the alternator was mounted with just one bolt, and I guess with vibrations and tension of the belt the engine blocked cracked!

So the K seal of course didn't work. And I could try a chemical metal, but i don't think that's a permanent solution :(

Maybe I take your 1.9 Ducce999s :) hehe.

Where in norway is possible to buy a reconditioned engine? What are the options here?? Everybody is telling me that I should give up and send it to crush, but i dont want.

Thank you for all your comments. I understand some norwegian, so also u can feel free to answer in norwegian!

Tusen Takk!

I took some pictures:

Andres Castro
T3 1983 1.9
ducce999s
-
-

Post by ducce999s »

aouch :shock:

one possibility is to buy a complet car.

i know one but i only would like to have som equipment from it, maby we should share :)

i also know a car in sweden but its a long way to get. Or my car :)
TL 1600 Fastback -69
Opel GT 1900 -69
Paul G
pitufinavikinga

That can be an option though! :)

What about overhauling of the motor? Like welding and machining the broken part?

In general my engine looks very good, obviously not now :P but if the price is reasonable, I would like to repair the block instead of getting another engine.

The problem is I dont know who does that in bergen...
Andres Castro
T3 1983 1.9
ducce999s
-
-

Post by ducce999s »

prøv Berger Sveiseservice AS
Røllesveien 1, 3070 sande . tlf 33 77 72 80‎
har sveiset noen eksosmanifojler der og bunnpanner

not in bergen but

edit: http://www.1881.no/Multi/?Query=sveising+bergen&qt=8
TL 1600 Fastback -69
Opel GT 1900 -69
Paul G