Spare parts for a T3 in Norway

T1 - T5 questions, and other topics.

vwbus.no is a Norwegian bus forum. Here in this section we invite questions/comments in English so that people who are struggling with Norwegian can ask questions using English.

Remember! Only English language / Husk! Kun Engelsk!
Forum rules
vwbus.no is a Norwegian bus forum. Here in this section we invite questions/comments in English so that people who are struggling with Norwegian can ask questions using English.
ProUhu
Car: T3 '88 KY

Spare parts for a T3 in Norway

Post by ProUhu »

Hello guys,

my name is Markus and i'm writing from South-Germny to you :)

This is my bus..
... and the plan is to drive with it in four weeks for three weeks through Skandinavia (From Denmark over the Bridges to Sweden an then either first with a ferry to finland and finally the way back throug Norway or only from Sweden to Norway an than the wohle country from south to the north - depending on the time we need and have).

The main question to you is: How difficult is it to get spare parts in Norway (and, if you also know, in Sweden and Finland)? Do the friendly VW-Dealer have the ordinary sparts like alternator or starter for a 1988 T3 with 1.7D-KY-Motor? Or to whom shoud I go if it is something with the bulli? The VW-Dealer here in Germany can not always really help or doesn't want to.... :?

One other question is about robbery. Is it "dangerous" to park the T3 somewhere without taking any security measures like such things (if you have a enlish word let it hear ;))
Image Image
I hope and think not...

So, know closing one last questions if you want to help us: Do you have some tips for us what we definitely have to see at our trip through Norway?

It would be very nice from you if you can help me with my questions!!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Bye
Markus
Last edited by ProUhu on 30 Jun 2010, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
Der Postmeister
-
-
Phone: 99454090

Re: Spare parts for a T3 in Norway

Post by Der Postmeister »

Normally theres no problems in Norway, but put your values out of sight. If you need spare parts I have a garage full I need to empty so bring euros and come! I even have 2 anlasser for JX. :)
Rune Andersen

-1988 112i Transporter
-2003 Vr6 Transporter
-2017 TDi Transporter

ProUhu

Post by ProUhu »

Hi Postmeister :D

thank you for your fast answer!

What do you mean with "but put your values out of sight"??

Ah and one more thing. I know alcohol is very expensive in norway so I want to take some spirits on my way to channge it in spare parts or other help if I need it ;)
Do the Norwegian people have some preferences in alcohol? :mrgreen: Vodka? Whisky? Jägermeister or something else?
Cheron
-
-
Phone: 90046823 sms

Post by Cheron »

Jack Daniels ;) My wife is from Germay so when we are in Berlin I always buy a lot of beers and Jack Daniels! 8)

Norway is very expensiv for everything! Not only alcohol.

Where in Norway are your going? Lofoten? :)
Der Postmeister
-
-

put everything that cost money out of sight. Alles was teuer ist muss man nicht sehen.
Rune Andersen

-1988 112i Transporter
-2003 Vr6 Transporter
-2017 TDi Transporter

TaigAGreEn
-
-
Car: T3 SYNCRO
Phone: 40492641

Post by TaigAGreEn »

Rv17 from Saltstraumen -> South. Kvaløya and the Islands outside of Tromsø.

If You need help, this forum is a good place to post :D

Have a great trip!
Tage Vedal

T3-fan
ProUhu

Post by ProUhu »

Cheron wrote:Jack Daniels ;) My wife is from Germay so when we are in Berlin I always buy a lot of beers and Jack Daniels! 8)

Norway is very expensiv for everything! Not only alcohol.

Where in Norway are your going? Lofoten? :)
Yes I hope that we reach the Lofoten, but we have no exact route so far. Thats the cause I'm so thankful for your tips.
ducce999s
-
-
Phone: 9-1-6-0-9-7-9-0

Post by ducce999s »

ProUhu wrote:Hi Postmeister :D
Ah and one more thing. I know alcohol is very expensive in norway so I want to take some spirits on my way to channge it in spare parts or other help if I need it ;)
Do the Norwegian people have some preferences in alcohol? :mrgreen: Vodka? Whisky? Jägermeister or something else?
just remember the customer rules, max 1 liter > 22% and 2l wine or beer,

1 liter > 22% + 1,5 liter wine+ 2 liter beer
or
3 liter wine+ 2 liter beer
or
5 liter beer

http://toll.no/templates_TAD/Article.as ... anguage=en

welcome to Norway :mrgreen:

wish you a good holiday
SYNCRO1,9TD,SIKASYNCRO2,1,JOKER3 2,1++
TL 1600 Fastback -69
Opel GT 1900 -69
"I'm afraid that, when I die, my wife will sell my car parts for what I told her that I paid for them."
Paul G
ProUhu

Post by ProUhu »

Oh yes these restrictions are not very funny. Everybody who knows our Oktoberfest for example does also know how hard it is to take only 5 liter beer with you for an bavarian guy :D (worse english btw... :? )

however, probably I will take thes bottles with me:
- 1 x 1 liter Jack Daniels
- 2 x 0,7 liter Malibu (Coconut Liqueur)
- 1 x 0,1 liter other Liqueur < 22 Vol. %
- 4 x 0,5 liter beer

---> I hope this is enough for a new motor for my t3 :lol:

But no kidding, what would these things be worth in Norway?
Der Postmeister
-
-

Rune Andersen

-1988 112i Transporter
-2003 Vr6 Transporter
-2017 TDi Transporter

Rikskringkastingen
-
-
Car: T3 Syncro

Post by Rikskringkastingen »

ProUhu wrote: The main question to you is: How difficult is it to get spare parts in Norway (and, if you also know, in Sweden and Finland)? Do the friendly VW-Dealer have the ordinary sparts like alternator or starter for a 1988 T3 with 1.7D-KY-Motor? Or to whom shoud I go if it is something with the bulli? The VW-Dealer here in Germany can not always really help or doesn't want to.... :?
I work with spare parts at a VW-dealer, and we have the same problem as your dealer in Germany; A lot of parts for the T3 is now discontinued. We rarely see a T3 in our workshop, and we don't experience a lot of customers wanting to buy spare parts. We can still supply some parts, a few is in stock at the dealers, and then some can be supplied from the central warehouse in Norway. But most of the parts must be ordered from VW-Kassel. And that will take some time. Usually one week, give or take a day or two depending on where in Norway you are. The KY-engine is rather rare in Norway, most oil burners have the JX, and some the CS. KY-specific parts could take some time.

Service parts can often be found at independent spare parts suppliers, such as Mekonomen or Bilxtra. I believe they would supply parts like a starter or alternator faster and cheaper than the VW-dealer. Martin who runs this forum can supply some parts. Mostly tuning parts, but also some spare parts for brakes and suspension. http://www.mamut.net/vwbustuningshop/shop/

You may be able to get used parts from salvage yards, or if you ask here on the forum. You will get in touch with bulli-enthusiasts from most parts of Norway here, and you should have a good chance to get help if you experience trouble.
Henrik Engen

'91 Transporter Syncro halvpanel 1,6td, ex NRK
'86 Transporter Syncro pickup 1,9wbx
'88 Caravelle C Syncro 2,1
'88 Transporter 2WD pickup 2,1
'87 Caravelle C Syncro 2,5tdi
'83 Transporter D Eurec Cassandra