EU Kontroll

T1 - T5 questions, and other topics.

vwbus.no is a Norwegian bus forum. Here in this section we invite questions/comments in English so that people who are struggling with Norwegian can ask questions using English.

Remember! Only English language / Husk! Kun Engelsk!
Forum rules
vwbus.no is a Norwegian bus forum. Here in this section we invite questions/comments in English so that people who are struggling with Norwegian can ask questions using English.
OrGazM
Car: T4
Phone: 70213670

EU Kontroll

Post by OrGazM »

Hei,
Unnskyld.....SORRY, English!

Just had my EU Kontroll.
Failed on:
2 Lastavhengig ventil feil innstilt (just put 300kg in the back?)
1 Skiltlys defekter (OK...I had LED bulbs...will change)
2 Feil dekk, for lav loadindeks
2 Forevises for trafikkstasjon, senkesett ikke innført i vognkortet.

I had my van lowered in UK (when I was visiting my mum) with a KW -40mm lowering kit...TUV approved, springs and shocks. (But no papers....)
Tyres/wheels WERE normal 15", but now changed to 235/45 17 97W "Extra Load".....WERE 99 in the vognkort....? (TUV regs say they are OK for a Transporter..?...)

Do I really have to get this adjusted in the vognkort?

Also, the guy who did the test says I have to have paper-work to prove the "geometry" of the suspension was also correct after it WAS done, but do I need paper-work for this?...If there was a problem, the "test" should show this?....yes/no?

Obvious....I had this work done in UK for half the cost of Norway...but should this be a problem?
I'm not good in Norwegian....but I think EU regs should apply?!

Any answers (quick I hope....I need to sort this next week)

Gaz
Last edited by OrGazM on 27 Aug 2010, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Der Postmeister
-
-
Phone: 99454090

Re: EU Kontroll

Post by Der Postmeister »

yes to all. Everything must be noted in the vognkort. Without that you might loose your plates if stopped along the road. Its not a problem doing the job abroad but you still need dokumentation.
Rune Andersen

-1988 112i Transporter
-2003 Vr6 Transporter
-2017 TDi Transporter

OrGazM

Post by OrGazM »

Takk for det (sorry, trying to learn Norsk).
You'll get NorwEnglish from me for a while!

So....IF I just go to the "test station" with papers saying the work was done....can they fix this problem? (I don't have any papers just now, but maybe I can get them sent).
Also...what about the summer/winter tyre/wheel problem?
I still have 15" winter wheels/tyres (with studs).....but 17" summer wheels?

Sorry, but I'm new here to these laws.....

Really good to get a reply so fast :D

Thanks,
Gaz
Even
-
-
Phone: 95011694

Post by Even »

You need the papers for the springs you have.Same number in papers and on springs.If the springs are old and you cant see the number,you need to buy new springs.If you can see the number and who made them,call the dealer and get them too send you new papers.

Then you need to go to a workshop and adjust the geometry of the weels,and papers for this.You also need to adjust "lasteavhengig ventil".

The load index of the tyres must be minimum 99 if it says so in vognkort.

Hope you understand.My english is like your norwegian.... :oops:
Norsk natur er best sett gjennom frontruta på en lastebil.

For tiden uten VW buss, men....
OrGazM

Post by OrGazM »

Even wrote:Hope you understand.My english is like your norwegian.... :oops:
Sorry....YOUR English is much better than my Norsk.

The tyres I bought were specified for a VW T4 Transporter....and are both bigger (17") and wider than the standard ones fitted.
They were supplied for a T4 Transporter....as were the wheels.
Any chance the "Kontroll" will understand this?

About the suspension....I am hoping to get some TUV papers sent to me....but as the springs/shock absorbers are only 5 weeks old, all the details should still be on them.

Thanks for help sooooo quickly....The VW forum in UK is NOT so fast, and the language/thoughts seem to be just like American Truck Drivers!!!
I've learnt that many Norwegian people take "language" from USA movies...but it is NOT the "English" way....I prefer the Norsk swearing about the "Devil" etc....maybe I'm just old :twisted:
oddvarr
-
-
Car: 2002 T4 Caravelle AXG

Post by oddvarr »

OrGazM wrote:The tyres I bought were specified for a VW T4 Transporter....and are both bigger (17") and wider than the standard ones fitted.
They were supplied for a T4 Transporter....as were the wheels.
Any chance the "Kontroll" will understand this?
I would say chances are equal that the "Kontroll" will understand this as hell freezes over. :)
But, your "Vognkort" says your tyres need to have at least 99 in loadindex. As long as your loadindex is below that, you will NOT get it approved.

Regarding getting the geometry done.
This spring, I lowered my 2003 T4 by 40 mm. aA couple of weeks ago I discovered my front tyres where well worn on the inside. Had to get new ones. :cry:
I got my geometry done today. Dont know the english word for it, but the "spissing" was way out of its limits. It was adjusted along with camber. So it is within limits now.
I used H&R springs. Got paperworks for it, so I can get it legally in my "vognkort."
2011 Tiguan R-Line
Har VAG COM om du trenger hjelp med feilkoder eller lignende.
---
Tidligere
2002 T4 TDI
1997 T4
Der Postmeister
-
-
Phone: 99454090

Post by Der Postmeister »

toe in or out.
Rune Andersen

-1988 112i Transporter
-2003 Vr6 Transporter
-2017 TDi Transporter

extremracing.net
-
-
Car: Caravelle 2,5TDI Audi 80Gl 1973
Phone: 97580778

Post by extremracing.net »

put it on the orginal springs then they cant say annything, and then put the lowering springs back on the car :) hehe
Golf 2 1,9 TDI
Caravelle 2,5 TDI
Torbjørn her ja :)
AVWK
OrGazM

Post by OrGazM »

extremracing.net wrote:put it on the orginal springs then they cant say annything, and then put the lowering springs back on the car :) hehe
Guess who left the "old" springs back in the UK?!?!?!?!?

KW -40mm lowering kit (springs and shocks), fitted, and the geometry set up by laser was only 5,400Nok!

De-cat S/S twin oval exhaust, fitted, was also just over 5,600Nok.

Visit UK once each year (mum's still alive), so get anything needed when there!

The 17" wheels with tyres were 8000Nok....and supposed to be "approved"..but again, forgot about paperwork!

ANYONE have any idea about what colour springs to fit to the valve???

Tusen Takk,
Gaz
OrGazM

Post by OrGazM »

UPDATE.....

Link to a UK site (some of you may know Brikwerks...great guy who runs the company)...LOTS of useful (and FREE) information.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/brake ... 56985.html

Just scroll down to what "toomanykids" has to say......

Done what he said, but moved them 4mm as they were pressed hard on the stops!

Hope you can understand the text....it's a great explanation.

Will post again if/when I finally get my EU Kontrol.
OrGazM

Post by OrGazM »

Another Update;

Just been to Biltilsynet....told me I had to go to "recognised" garage to have tracking and brake valve checked (with paperwork!!! ).

VW want 3,300NOK!!!! (even though THEY accept that the letter I had from UK was "Godkjent"!)
So, booked in there for Friday 10th Sept.
Got the TUV for the suspension, and now for the wheels....still got the problem of load rating for tyres....TOTAL rating is 2920kg for the tyres....but front axle wants 1510kg from the vagnkort...which is also wrong...it's a 2.5TDi NOT a V6 bensin engine!!).
Even if that was changed, I guess they won't accept 1460kg tyres on a 1480 axle!!!

I refuse to fork out 6000Nok for another set of tyres, when the ones I have meet the EU(ropean) standards in the rest of the civilised world!

I'll borrow a set of wheels from someone when I take it back for the test!

Update to follow in a couple of weeks!!!

Gaz
Rudeboy
-
-
Car: T4b California Coach syncro
Phone: 666

Post by Rudeboy »

Only recognition a shop need, is to be aproved to check up the EU-control there.

Apart from that - har vi ikke noen i Aalesund-området som kan låne ham fire komplette dekk på felg ?

Strange days.
OrGazM

Post by OrGazM »

Now have TUV papers from Autec. (Felger)
IN those papers...
VW Bus 7DB (mine) 235/45R17 T97

So....TUV say 97 rated tyres are OK....
Must go back again and try to talk to the "gods"....

Any comments?....WILL they accept the "TUV" papers?

Rudeboy.....thanks for asking the question about a loan of wheels :)
oddvarr
-
-

Post by oddvarr »

I wish you luck.
But the "gods" will not approve this.
Your paper says loadinex 99.
As long as you tyres are not that index, or more, they will not approve this.

If I where you I would start looking for someone with tyres that meet spesifications.
It would be much easier.

But again good luck trying to get those nincompoops using other than regulations to solve this. :)
2011 Tiguan R-Line
---
Tidligere
2002 T4 TDI
1997 T4
OrGazM

Post by OrGazM »

Only thing I have on MY side is...vognkort is WRONG!!!!!
Details about loading are for the VR6 engine....

Gonna fight this until the end....than I use someone else's wheels for a day!!!!!

THEY want TUV papers for everything...so I have them...and TUV papers say LI 97 is OK......
OrGazM

Post by OrGazM »

Can anyone tell me what it says in THEIR Vognkort?
MY front axle is down as 1510 kg....should be 1480kg (from manual).
Total weight is also wrong.

Also, from the manual, IF the van is lowered, the max loading also goes down...?

Looked at 5 vans today, 2 had 205/65-15 97W and one with 235/45-18 98Y .....all on T4 transporters. (other 2 had std wheels with 101 tyres).

Would be interesting to find what is written in other peoples vognkort.
Can anyone help?

Tusen Takk,
Gaz
oddvarr
-
-

Post by oddvarr »

My says:
Front axle: 1460 Loadindex 97
Rear axle: 1230 Loadindex 97
This is a Transporter 2003 151 BHP 2 seater

My previous says:
Front axle: 1510 Loadindex 99
Rear axle: 1330 Loadindex 99
This was a caravelle 1997 102 BPH 8 seater

I figure the cars are different regarding max allowed weight. And this result in different loadindex.
What VW says in this matter, I would say is of no matter.
The important thing is what the cars are registered to carry at max.

A bit strange, yes indeed. But thats norway for you. :evil:
2011 Tiguan R-Line
---
Tidligere
2002 T4 TDI
1997 T4
OrGazM

Post by OrGazM »

VERY STRANGE....and that is why I want to "argue" with those "Gods"!!!

The numbers make no sense...like they just picked a lottery ticket from a box for each vehicle!

From the axle "numbers", it should be allowed to have different tyre ratings front and rear!
But from TOTAL vehicle weight, 97 ratings should do.

VW are the people who DECIDE what a vehicle can carry...so THEIR numbers should be what goes on the vognkort.
If not, I could say MY van can only carry 300kg extra weight....and so 94 tyres would be ok...LOL!

I don't see how a van can be registered to carry MORE than VW say it can.
I'm gonna keep arguing this, even after I get my "kontroll" (with someone elses wheels/tyres maybe)....gives me 2 years to fight it before next kontroll.
Rikskringkastingen
-
-
Car: T3 Syncro

Post by Rikskringkastingen »

The T4 was delivered from the factory with a lot of different suspension setups. They require different wheels. This depends on engine and transmission, with or without air conditioning, number of seats, maximum approved payload and so on. What load index other people have in their papers won't help you one single bit.

Your only option here is to get a paper from VW with information about load index / axle loads for your spesific VIN-number. I guess you will need a COC-document (Certificate of Conformity). If this specifies loads that are different from your vognkort, you will have a case. Otherwise not. My guess is that this will be a waste of time and money. Quite a few of norwegian T4's are specified with load index 99.
VW are the people who DECIDE what a vehicle can carry...so THEIR numbers should be what goes on the vognkort.
You're absolutely right! And it is the information in the COC (issued by VW) that decides what "typegodkjenning" (Homologation) is used for your car. And the load index for your car is determined based on this. Documents from some wheel manufacturer does not change this.
VW Bus 7DB (mine) 235/45R17 T97

So....TUV say 97 rated tyres are OK....
No, they say that your rims are approved on a T4 that can use load index 97. Yours can't. Same thing with the lowering springs i have on my T3. TÜV papers say they are approved for 1400kg rear axle load. That doesn't mean that 1400kg is the correct axle load on any T3. But it means that the springs are approved for my car where the vognkort says 1400kg. And it also means that it is impossible to get these springs approved on one of the many T3's with 1500kg rear axle load. This is how things work, and it has nothing to do with difficult norwegian authorities. This is international regulations, and should work the same way in the EU.
Henrik Engen

'91 Transporter Syncro halvpanel 1,6td, ex NRK
'86 Transporter Syncro pickup 1,9wbx
'88 Caravelle C Syncro 2,1
'88 Transporter 2WD pickup 2,1
'87 Caravelle C Syncro 2,5tdi
'83 Transporter D Eurec Cassandra
OrGazM

Post by OrGazM »

Thanks for your input Rikskringkastingen

"This is international regulations, and should work the same way in the EU."

So why is it that German, Dutch, Belgium and MANY English people I've had contact with....ALL say they have NO problem with 97 rated tyres on any T4s?
Is it ONLY Norway that sticks to the letters?....Everywhere else (in EUROPE) seem to work on the vehicle weight...so 4x730kg is less than the total weight permitted for the T4.

Just had mail from a guy in UK....he has the exactly the same tyres as me, for the last 5 years,...and has passed 3 "MOT"s..(EU kontroll) with them.
Some guy in Germany told me he has 97 on the front, but 94 on the back (with 17x9 wheels). Said it was allowed due to being lowered, the van can NOT carry the same load anymore.....Just don't know how to get that in paper-work!

Only annoyed that I have 4 GOOD tyres, and may have to pay expensive Norwegian prices for 4 more just to get past the kontroll. (The tyres cost me around 2500Nok in UK....seems it's gonna be more like 6000Nok to replace them in Norway.....almost cheaper to drive to Germany and get some 99 ratings ones there!....just don't have the time! ).
Indian
-
-
Car: Multivan 2002 2,5 TDI
Phone: 46426546

Post by Indian »

Mine is lowered and I drive on snow tyres with a LI of 92.....97 in the registration card and the car has a lowered chassis. Møller did the EU and they never said a word.
Just take the next inspection at another place.