Temperature inside the car.

T3-Prosjekter (Caravelle/Transporter 1980-1991/Syncro -92)
xavi
Car: ´87 Caravelle C 2.1 L 8 seater

Temperature inside the car.

Post by xavi »

Hi Guys,
I did try to find a thread regarding the temperature inside a car but I couldn´t find one so I am presenting the problem here. Car in question is 1987 VW caravelle bus, 2.1l. With the temperature like today there is no problem heating the inside of the car. It is when the temperature goes below minus 5 the problem occurs. I just get luke warm air from the heater even if the fan is at full speed. The coolent circulation is OK. I have checked both ends. You can feel the heat from the radioter pipes and the expansion tank. Could it be the temostat that is causing the problem? Never changed it since 1987. What degree temostat should I buy? Or could it be some other problem? I will appreciate your answers please.
Kind regards.
Xavi :(
ducce999s
-
-
Phone: 9-1-6-0-9-7-9-0

Re: Temperature inside the car.

Post by ducce999s »

I assume that you don't have the extra heater in the rear, just the floor airducts from the front heater.

If so, then you just have to install the extra heater in the rear, e.i buy the radiator with then and the hoses and do some electrical work for the fan switch (not sure if the cables to the fan is standard and exist already)

But if you have trouble to get normal temperature on the engine, then you should take a look on the thermostat. Normal opening degree is 87 C. Take it out and put it in a can with hot water and measure the temp when it starts to open. Or just buy a new one.

If you lift up the left rear end of the car when you shift the thermostat will you lose less amount of cooling water.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
SYNCRO1,9TD,SIKASYNCRO2,1,JOKER3 2,1++
TL 1600 Fastback -69
Opel GT 1900 -69
"I'm afraid that, when I die, my wife will sell my car parts for what I told her that I paid for them."
Paul G
xavi
Car: ´87 Caravelle C 2.1 L 8 seater

Re: Temperature inside the car.

Post by xavi »

Thank you for your prompt reply. I really appreciate it.
Yes you are right, I have only floor airducts in the front. My car is an original bus version (8 seater), so it came fitted with an extra petrol heater. I use this only in extreme conditions. I have had no problem heating the car until the extreme winter of 2011. With eight passengers it became so warm inside that I had to put the heat slider halfway. I think I will go with your suggestion of changing the thermostat first and see if it improves.
Thanks and take care.
Xavi :D