Moving to Norway, Importing my Syncro's?

T1 - T5 questions, and other topics.

vwbus.no is a Norwegian bus forum. Here in this section we invite questions/comments in English so that people who are struggling with Norwegian can ask questions using English.

Remember! Only English language / Husk! Kun Engelsk!
Forum rules
vwbus.no is a Norwegian bus forum. Here in this section we invite questions/comments in English so that people who are struggling with Norwegian can ask questions using English.
mattwilde66
Car: T3 DOKA Syncro, T4 Syncro, T4 California Exclusive

Moving to Norway, Importing my Syncro's?

Post by mattwilde66 »

Hei Hei,

I'm moving to Beiarn with my partner and we are expecting out first child in a few months :D I've got two Syncro's back in the UK and I've been researching every avenue on how to get them over to Norway legally. I've got one 1996 T4 Syncro 2.4d and one 1984 T25(T3) Syncro with an Audi 2.3 5pot :P

We took the T4 over to Norway last year for 2 months on holiday on GB plates and everything was fine (apart from the toll roads). When I checked with TOLL again about using the T4 for up to a year, they say because we are having a child, I have direct family in Norway and then I cant drive a foreign registered vehicle :(

I've put the T3 up for sale because when I looked on the Toll website, it said it was going to cost around 50000 NOK to import :shock: Its almost at the 30 year old stage though and I've read on some sites that the tax and duty drops after 30 years. Is this the case? If anyone else has imported vans into Norway any help would be much appreciated.

bjørn53
-
-
Car: t3 + golf
Phone: 90134047

Re: Moving to Norway, Importing my Syncro's?

Post by bjørn53 »

After 30 years it's 25 % vat on the pris of the car + ca.7-8000 kr. So the price on a 30 years old car is?? :)
Hvor jeg har det fra???... et langt liv med god og dårlig erfaring. Lærer litt her og..
Buss 81 delebil
Rico camper 83
Pickup 87 delebil
combi 89 delebil
mattwilde66

Post by mattwilde66 »

bjørn53 wrote:After 30 years it's 25 % vat on the pris of the car + ca.7-8000 kr. So the price on a 30 years old car is?? :)
Takk Cheers
Would they work VAT on how much you paid or how much its worth?
OddN
-
-

Post by OddN »

Hi and welcome. Beiarn is only a short distance from where I live. Well about 150km that is.

If Your syncro is indeed an 84 it is already a veteran car, actually even if it is an 85 it will qualify, as the veteran status is achieved on january 1st in the 30th year of registration. Be prepared to document the first date of registration though.

As far as the 25% Mva (Vat) is concerned, it is as said calculated from the sales price. These regulations are primarily made for Norwegians travelling abroad, buying a car and returning home With it. It will have to be estimated a price, dont let them set it too high.

So dont sell Your T3. Bring it over and enjoy the benefits of owning a veteran car here in Norway. Like very cheap Insurance and almost no annual road tax.
hansstef
-
-
Car: T3 -86 SYNCRO GL 1.9TDK
Phone: 9-1-8-8-0-9-3-7

Post by hansstef »

Welcome Matt!

Id be more concerned of how Biltilsynet (our DMV) will react to your extra sylinder in the back there.
I don't know how the actual process of registering a foreign veteran car goes down, but for newer cars it is required that once VAT is paid, BT goes over the vehicle before registration to calculate the "on time fee" based on engine size, power out put, emissions etc...

This fee does not apply to cars older than 30 years, but do they still require the control or is it just a matter of passing EU test (Norwegian MOT)?

Feel free to step in and save me if I'm lying here.
Hans Sæle
mattwilde66

Post by mattwilde66 »

Fantastic :D

Cheers for the information. I'll have another little think now to see if its worth bringing it over. My partners parents already have a Syncro sat in the yard with no engine. I was hoping they would let me play with it but he like to hoard cars.

I bought this one last year with a view to taking it to Norway but I never realised you could spend less in Norway for a T3 that in the UK. Its up for sale at the moment for £6500 but I may have a rethink :roll:

ImageUntitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr
mattwilde66

Post by mattwilde66 »

hansstef wrote:Welcome Matt!

Id be more concerned of how Biltilsynet (our DMV) will react to your extra sylinder in the back there.
I don't know how the actual process of registering a foreign veteran car goes down, but for newer cars it is required that once VAT is paid, BT goes over the vehicle before registration to calculate the "on time fee" based on engine size, power out put, emissions etc...

This fee does not apply to cars older than 30 years, but do they still require the control or is it just a matter of passing EU test (Norwegian MOT)?

Feel free to step in and save me if I'm lying here.
I'll ask her father over in Beiarn. They run the local garage so they might knno. It's formally registered on the UK V5 registration document as a 2300cc 5-cylinder from when it came into the UK from Tyskland 5 years ago.
OddN
-
-

Post by OddN »

Didnt know they go for that much over there.

Finding a veteran (or near veteran) syncro here takes some searching. But newer vans(88-92) are plentiful and can be had for much less than Your asking price of 6500£ + import duties.

So without knowing the condition of Your current van, it is difficult to give more specific advice. If it is in good condition, and you really like the Audi 5cylinder engine, then bring it over. Take the relatively small hazzle With importing it, and enjoy a van you know the condition of.

Rust is the worst enemy for these vans here, and a straight rust free body is worth every penny. Engine and other upgrades are cheap compared to a full body restauration.
ducce999s
-
-
Phone: 9-1-6-0-9-7-9-0

Post by ducce999s »

Take a look here http://www.toll.no/en/international/eng ... rary-stay/

Sent fra min C6903 via Tapatalk
SYNCRO1,9TD,SIKASYNCRO2,1,JOKER3 2,1++
TL 1600 Fastback -69
Opel GT 1900 -69
"I'm afraid that, when I die, my wife will sell my car parts for what I told her that I paid for them."
Paul G
mattwilde66

Post by mattwilde66 »

Thanks for the info. I'm still probably going to sell it over here and hope to find something else in Norway one day. I've got a baby to think about first [emoji3]

I've been converting my T4 over the last year in the UK. I've just read someone's post about the Norwegian testing and how hard it can be. I wonder if it's worth bringing that over one day.

This is my thread on the UK T4 Forum so far.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=357485
ducce999s
-
-

Post by ducce999s »

Here is an calculation for å a 1984 car
Price for the car is set to zero
TL 1600 Fastback -69
Opel GT 1900 -69
"I'm afraid that, when I die, my wife will sell my car parts for what I told her that I paid for them."
Paul G
mattwilde66

Post by mattwilde66 »

ducce999s wrote:Take a look here http://www.toll.no/en/international/eng ... rary-stay/

Sent fra min C6903 via Tapatalk
Cheers [emoji106]

I've been through the toll terms with a fine tooth comb so far. I've had emails from the Bodø office saying when I have a baby in Norway then I have direct family under 18 and I can't use a foreign registered vehicle. Also I have no documentation to prove ill be there less that 1 or 2 years. I work offshore in the UK sector so I'm not in Norway all the time but family ties will prevent the legal use. Plus I'd have to drive it back each year and until the ferry to Newcastle starts up again, there's just the fright ferry from near Oslo [emoji20]
mattwilde66

Post by mattwilde66 »

ducce999s wrote:Here is an calculation for å a 1984 car
Price for the car is set to zero
I did the same when I first bought the T3 and thought that was fantastic. Then I added the actual price I paid in the UK and then I hurts to look. That's why I wondered if Toll would work out the tax on my actual sale price in the UK or the Norwegian market value which is less. (I chose one of the few cars that's worth less in Norway!) Doh [emoji12]

ducce999s
-
-

Post by ducce999s »

That's not correct, if you have family band in Norway then you have to be registered in Norway, which don't has anything to do if you are allowed to drive a foreigner car. What give you the.possibility to drive a foreigner car is if you only is here for a temporary period. Se it like this, if your child is living in Norway, and you in UK. According to the info from Bodø Toll shouldn't you be able to drive your car in Norway to visit you child. Family and registration is only actual if you will be in Norway more then 183 days a year.

So I would have taking a new discussion with them. They are mixing the rules about the tax for cars and.tax.for people. You have a foreigner apployment and is only visiting Norway when you are here.

Btw the picture from the.calculator is not correct, it seems that the.calculator don't give the.right tax. Here is the.same weheicle but with a price at 20000 nok. And the.sum tax is to high
TL 1600 Fastback -69
Opel GT 1900 -69
Paul G
mattwilde66

Post by mattwilde66 »

I wonder why it would be different?
mattwilde66

Post by mattwilde66 »

Its been a while but i'm back. I sold the T3 in the end. I got my money back which was brilliant but it was a shame to see it go. I had a 400 mile road trip to drop it off which was a nice little send off.

Since then I've had a baby in Bodø and I've got a bigger baby in the form of a California :)

ImageUntitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

I'll miss the Syncro but this one is much better for now. Cheers everyone for the help.