Buying T4 / T5 for conversion to camper / weekender - Need h

T1 - T5 questions, and other topics.

vwbus.no is a Norwegian bus forum. Here in this section we invite questions/comments in English so that people who are struggling with Norwegian can ask questions using English.

Remember! Only English language / Husk! Kun Engelsk!
Forum rules
vwbus.no is a Norwegian bus forum. Here in this section we invite questions/comments in English so that people who are struggling with Norwegian can ask questions using English.
jerry
Car: T3 Westfalia Joker
Phone: 40173868

Buying T4 / T5 for conversion to camper / weekender - Need h

Post by jerry »

Hello,

I'm proud owner of T3 Westfalia Joker and was serving me well for many years, even when untill I moved to Norway couple of years ago when started to drive around the country a lot and practice kitesurfing, surfing, snowboarding, mountainbiking. I figure out I need newer van, less noise, with much more space, especially if I want to take family with me in the future.

For now I was thinking of these two options:

1. Buy T5 "4 Motion" Transporter between 2008-2010 year make with max 90.000 km on counter.

2. Buy T4 "Syncro" last model (Transporter or caravelle) with up to 200.000km on counter

I have clear idea how the interior of a camper / weekend van should be constructed to serve my living and sports gear needs, but I'm not that good when it comes to car mechanics, so I need your help with suggestions, since choice depends on many factors / questions I can’t answer:
  • - Which one is most reliable and better buy on long term? Im planning to have van for at least 10 years. I know T5 is probably less reliable but seems more comfortable and better 4x4 system.

- cost of converting from green plates to regular vs cost of camper registration

- does protection between drivers cabin and the back of the van has to be hard (like the one that comes standard) it or is it alloved to be removable soft net (so when im camping i can easily remove it and swivel front seats around)?

- is it possible to bring van to germany or UK and pay professionals to convert the van and bring it back to Norway and have it registred as camper or regular car?

Any taught would be very helpful!

Best Regards, Jerry
OddN
-
-

Re: Buying T4 / T5 for conversion to camper / weekender - Ne

Post by OddN »

Hi and welcome.

I cant say much on the T4 versus T5, so someone else have to chime in there.

But in regards to the Norwegian regulations I know a few Things.

If you start With a green plate van, there is a cost when converting to white plates. This cost is sky high (like several hundred thousand NOK) when the van is New, then gradually lower until the van is 10 years. And that 10 years are counted from when the van was first registered in Norway, so check any van if it has been imported second hand. When the van has been 10 years in Norway, there is only a small fee, like 500NOK to have it converted.

The regulations concerning camper vans have been gradually tightened for the last few years, and as of now, none of the Transporter type vans conform to these regulations. There are some interior measurements that have to be met, and none of the regular vans are big enough.

So Your only chance is to register the van as a regular passenger van, With approved seats and seatbelts. You can then remove the interior divider wall, and do pretty much whatever you want With the interior. But you will only get it registered for as many persons that there are proper seats and seatbelts for.
jerry

Post by jerry »

thanks for answer OddN! I guess its fine to have it registred as regular car - and i could have 3 sits on front and 3 on back that would fold and have bed over. so that way i could drive up to 6 people or have a camper for 2-3. To me that sounds like a good deal!

Where can I check the prices for removing green plates? cause it this case its either last models of T4 or one of first reliable T5s that would not break the bank ;)
OddN
-
-

Post by OddN »

Try the calculator here: http://www.toll.no/en/international/eng ... alculator/

You need to know horsepower, weight and NOx pollution of the actual van.
jerry

Post by jerry »

its about 50.000 for 2008 model. Ok so thats most of the I guess now I just need someone to suggest the right model year for my conversion :)
OddN
-
-

Post by OddN »

Is the 2008 so much improved that it is worth the extra 50000 in taxes?

I would go for a van 10 years or older if I were to convert one to camper, just because i wouldnt like to pay the 50000 penalty, but if an early T5 is better than a late model T4, I wouldnt know.
jerry

Post by jerry »

good question, I didnt try to drive late T4 / early T5, I just know that T3 and early T4s are loud and clumsy. And another thing is that I wouldnt have to convert it today - it can be a long term process, so i would use it as trasporter for 1 or 2 years first. and than the price would be lower.